Mood Board and Inspo For Toto's Makeover


Who doesn't like a good tropical theme? I know I do. and its so on trend right now making finding all my decor items a breeze. Every shop is displaying some form of tropical inspired decor, I am so spoilt for choice.

I have spent a fair bit of time looking on pinterest and had many late night google searches for the products I need for this look. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing. I now have decision fatigue, but I still managed to put together a mood board to help me tie it all together in the popup.

Pattern mixing can be a tricky thing to master. I follow these 6 rules when making pattern combos.

Rule 1: Bold with bold. mixing large prints with large prints works a treat, both patterns need to be bold enough to hold there own next to each other. Bold with small also works and can look really lovely when you keep it monochromatic.
Rule 2: Geometric's with floral's or filigree designs. When you mix the straight masculine edges of a geometric pattern with bold and bright large printed floral's or swirly flourishing patterns they complement each other. Opposites attract so to speak. 
Rule 3: Avoid small patterns like tiny flowers or leaves for example with another tiny sized pattern, it all meshes together and becomes far too busy. To mix small patterns you need to break it up with a neutral zone, something solid in colour  to break up the noise of small patterns.
Rule 4: 2 geometric's can work together for example; a black and white stripe looks great with a black and white polka dot. Key is to keep the colours the same in both patterns. 
Rule 5:  Avoid 2 floral's together without breaking them up with a neutral zone, floral's can crowd a space fast when over used.
Rule 6 : Make up your own rules, rules are meant to be broken. I find these rules work for me when I combine patterns. Your tastes may be totally different, experiment and see what you love in pattern mixing.


My stripey Tropical themed decor for Toto's make over.
I've chosen a bold black and white stripe and have combined it with tropical flowers and leaf prints, the pink ombre fabric and soft pink walls will help tone down the busy patterns in the small space. A rustic faux wood floor in Pecan is not too dark and not too light helping to tie it all together, some wicker accessories like a table top and baskets for storage add texture and warmth, a little bit of bling to make everything feel a little more lux with gold/bronze door handles. Over all a bright and happy airy feel is what I was aiming for.


Some examples of good pattern balancing.
bold on bold, masculine and feminine
2 geometrics
Bold and small

Comments